Sunday, March 1, 2009

Ch-ch-cha-cha-changes.......

I am sorry I have not been posting much lately. We have had so many things going on, and so many things I am thinking about that it seems like all of my time has been spent lately contemplating, thinking, stewing and otherwise lost in thought. I have been having trouble getting to sleep, only to wake up around 3:30AM to start my day full of thoughts and what ifs.

We are going to me moving this summer. Our lease is up at the end of July and beside that, we feel like with the market conditions, now is the best time for us to buy. The rates are at 50 year lows, the builders are doing so many things as "standards" that were expensive upgrades a few years ago not to mention the prices being down to about what they were here 5 years ago.
So here comes the non-stop thinking part. Do we look around and try to find a house that has everything we want, in a good location, that we can afford? Do we go for a smaller house that may be more affordable even if we don't absolutely love it? Do we just go for it and build new and get everything we want for a good price?
There have been so many different options that I think, there is too much to think about!!
If we decide to build, which I think we are leaning toward...... Now which house do we build, which lot do we pick. Do we want to face west, or does the rear of the house where the solar panels would hide, be better facing west. Even though the other lot backs to trees?
How much do we really, I mean really want to spend on a house payment? The bigger, nicer house might be a little tight for now, but probably won't be in a couple of years. Is it better to just stick it out for now, or do something that really won't stretch us, but it is a house we don't LOVE. ----AAAH!! Who knows!!! That is only one of the reasons I sit and think and think and think and think.............

We have been busy this last week with appointments for Adam. He saw a developmental pediatrician this last Wednesday. I went alone on Tuesday to meet with her and give her the history and express all of my concerns. Then Adam and I went together on Wednesday for his evaluation. Then the doctor complies all of her notes and findings and I go and meet with her in the next month for her recommendations for where we go from here. She did not really express to many of her thoughts while we were there, she just pretty much took notes while Adam and I played and interacted. She made a few suggestions as to what she would like us to work with, so she could see some specific things. She wanted to watch him work on a few puzzles, and see me read a few books to him. She also had several toys out that he could just freely go to and play. She was watching how long his attention span is, see what his frustration level was with more complex tasks. Some of it was to see how creative he is and to listen to him talk.
She did notice that when he presses on something with a flat hand, that his fingers bend backward slightly. She says that it is a sign of low muscle tone and that is a factor in this motor skills, his clumsiness, and balance. She says it could very well be a contributing factor in his facial and jaw muscles and his ability to speak. Very interesting. She says that he is definitely smart and very creative. She also payed me a very nice compliment. She said that the way I play and interact with him naturally, is the way they try to teach other parents to interact with their kids. She said that she would like to video tape me, (to show to other parents) because the way I play with him helps to encourage his language and cognitive skills. And I was doing so many things that most people need to be taught. That made me feel much better, because for the most part I feel like a pretty crappy mom. It is so hard to deal with this and try to help other people deal with Adam more effectively when I feel like I don't know how to help either.

The previous Friday we had Adam to his Speech Evaluation. He did very well listening and following directions. I was so proud of him. She said that he definitely has severe communication delays, but that his understanding seems to be quite high. So that is good.
He even let this lady put the ear phones on his head to check his hearing. I was amazed!! He is usually so sensitive about his hearing and ears. She spent lots of time with him and was able to switch to another way to do the same test if she was trying something he didn't want to do. She was very flexible and so sweet to Adam. I really feel like just in the past couple of weeks he had been making progress. I think that the new diet is definitely making a difference. He has been making drastic improvement at Preschool also. He has been also having fewer tantrums at home. I am going to keep up with the Gluten Free/ Casein Free diet, I think we are seeing results! He has his hearing with the ChildFind school district representatives this coming Thursday. That is when they will determine if he qualifies for services and which ones. I am pretty confident he will qualify, just from what the ladies who have been doing the evaluations have been saying.---Dr Powell, the developmental ped.--said she thinks from what she has read from their reports that they will approve services. So I will have to let you know.

The other dilemma that came into my life is the possibility of a new job for Rob. I can't say much about it, but it made me do a lot of pondering about our family situations and the future.
This will be one we have to think and pray about extensively!!

We should be hearing from the Charter school about Avalon's application by the first week of April, and I cannot wait!! I hope so much that she got in. I think it will work so well for our family, now and in the future. So I have been considering my options of what I will need to do if she does not get in, and what to do for Alana either way. So my poor mommy brain is crammed full lately.

No comments: