Thursday, January 8, 2009

Book and Movie Thursday

So my plan for Thursdays is to give a review or recommendation for a book or movie,

So today I actually have 3 things I wanted to tell you about.

My movie of choice this week: Seven Pounds Starring Will Smith. ---SPOILERS---

Some may say that it glorifies suicide, and it does, a little. But I think to good message and the way it makes you think about how fragile life is, counteracts all of that!

Basic story line--a brilliant young man makes a stupid mistake and causes a car accident where 7 people including his fiancee are killed. He is obviously devastated and longs to make restitution. The way he decides to do this are to give "seven pounds" of his own flesh. Now, before you get all grossed out, read on. He has decided to give a gift to better the lives, in truly life changing ways, of 7 people. One for each person who died. One of his gifts is financial, but the others are sacrifices of his own body for them. Some of the gifts he can supply while he is alive, some others have to happen after he has died.

The movie made me laugh and cry. Mostly cry! It was heart wrenching to see this man struggle with what he had caused and his ultimate struggle to find those he would try to help.

It made me appreciate how truly fragile life is. How quickly things can change. How one single decision, not only effects your life but can effect so many others.

So should you go see it? ---YES---

If you don't want to spend $20 to go to the movie, at least keep it in your memory banks for the video store in a couple more months!

Here is a link to the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9nn0eKwxHY


I think Will Smith is one of the greatest actors of our generation. And I think he is largely overlooked because of some of his action movies that don't seem to take much acting skill, or too many people cant get past "The Fresh Prince", but this movies shows what a terrific actor he truly is!

Okay, now on to the books!!

I have had a sore back and had a couple of days to read while I rested. I read two really good books in that two days.

The first is from one of my favorite authors David Baldacci: Divine Justice, this is his latest novel and continues the story with the characters introduced in the Camel Club.

I absolutely loved Divine Justice, it was an original plot line, that had many twists and turns and had a great ending. I love this author, I always look forward to his next book!

Here is a link to another review, that gives a bit of the plot! Happy reading!

Amazon Link: Divine Justice

The other book was from an author I had never read before. His name is Jeffery Archer and quite honestly just picked up his book because his last name is the same as my son's name. I read the dust jacket synopsis and thought it sounded good, so I gave it a whirl!

IT WAS SO GOOD! It was the tinest bit hard for me to get into for the first 50 pages or so, then it just caught my interest and I couldn't put it down! I loved it! It reminded me a lot of "The Count of Monte Cristo" but much more modern and easily relateable. The book is called A Prisoner of Birth.

A young man is convicted of a murder he did not commit and goes to prison for 20+ years leaving behind his pregnant fiancee. He is assigned to a cell with a man that will truly change every aspect of his life. He manages to escape and begins to exact revenge on the men who did carry out the crime, and all lied to send him to prison. It was terrific! Go read it! Happy reading!

3 comments:

Sue said...

Great posts, Erin! It's so good to catch up :-) I'll send you an invite to mine :-)
Sue

Angel Dawn said...

Hi Erin!

We need to talk again, it has been too long. It looks like you may have visited our blog at some point since I saw a link for it on yours. I hope you guys are all doing well! Aaron

Charloe said...

Erin! Glad you're finally making it to the blogging world. It's fun reading about your little family. Thanks for letting me know about your blog.
Charloe