Monday, January 12, 2009

Sunday is certianly not a day of rest!

Well, Adam had is first day in primary yesterday. This was his first week in the older kids class. The 3 year olds. He missed last week because the kids were all quite sick.



So yesterday, we had to get everyone bathed in the morning, because for some inexplicable reason I totally spaced out getting things ready the night before. So the day started a little before 6 AM. Rob and I got showered and I got my hair done and headed down to make breakfast. Rob got the boys up, because they were both awake and still in their rooms. He got them bathed while I started the bacon and mixed up the pancake batter.


---Quick sidetrack----

These pancakes are SO yummy! The base of this recipe came from the mom of one of the missionaries that Rob and I were friends with back in our Rhode Island days when we were first married. These two particular Elders: Peterson and Tomlinson were quite literally our best friends in those first few lonely months in a place very far from home. We had them to dinner at least once a week. Every Friday night. We jokingly called it "Date Night" because most families in the ward were not interested in having missionaries over on Friday night, so that became our night. We went out to eat tons. What can I say we were newly married with pretty cheap rent and too much money to spend. Oh! Those were the days! :) We would often eat in too, and one night these wonderful friends decided they wanted to cook for us. So Elder Peterson had me call his mother and get a recipe for her delicious buttermilk pancakes. (I think it might have been just a tiny bit of a ploy to get a call into the mom, but I'll never admit that!---Love you Aaron!)


So here is the recipe!!



Buttermilk Pancakes----recipe by Rosalie Peterson



2 c. White Flour

2t. Baking Powder

1t. Baking Soda

1t. Salt

3T Sugar

2 Eggs

3T Vegetable Oil

About 2c. Buttermilk



For my own variation that has progressed over the years, up the sugar to about 1/3 c. and I also add about 2t. Vanilla this makes them extra sweet and delicious. Besides, who doesn't love a little more "cake" flavor in their pancakes! --If you don't have buttermilk, I usually don't, just sour regular milk with about 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Pour the milk into a measuring cup and add the vinegar, let it sit while you mix up the dry ingredients and it is ready to go when you are ready for the liquids.

They turn out delicious every time!! We love them and eat them about once a week. Sunday mornings are pretty typical. They are so good, and everyone eats them well and it helps us all make it happily through church!



Well, after a quick ramble (or not so quick!) Back to church.

Adam had a pretty bad day. Bad, bad bad. I had such high hopes of him being with the other kids and being willing to sit in the tiny cute chairs, built just for little bums. But NO! He was having none of it!
He didn't want to sit with the class. Couldn't be distracted and entertained with Bro. Giles' neat toy. Didn't want to sit with me and my class. Didn't want to sit with his sisters. Didn't want anything to do with this new situation! NOTHING! So pretty much the whole 40 minutes-Singing time and sharing time, he tried to escape the various people trying to help him get the hang of this new place. He has spent the last 2 years in a class where playing is the norm, and he was more than okay with that! But time marches on and you have to move up and grow up a little too. It is just hard sometimes. Hard on us all. I spent the whole time crying, feeling like my heart is being ripped out. So sad for my little boy who struggles so much. Hard for the wonderful ladies who run the primary, who were trying to include Adam and help him to see that it is not such a scary place. Hard for his terrific teachers who have their hands very full with a big class.
And especially hard for Adam who can't process this chaotic, noisy, strange place.

So here's hoping the next few weeks will be better. Hopefully I can learn how to better help him adjust. And maybe just maybe he will learn to love primary. I am sure he will!

No comments: