Friday, January 23, 2009

Foodie Friday

Well I tried my first gluten free, casein free recipe yesterday. It was a basic white bread.
The recipe looked good and fairly easy, and it talked about how soft this bread is. Well, I messed it up! My loaves turn out more like dark little bricks than soft yummy loaves.
I think I figured out what I did wrong, the recipe calls for tapioca starch and I could only find tapioca starch flour. I am pretty sure now, that they are NOT the same thing.
But, my grocery store, even thought they carry lots of gluten free products, doesn't seem to have the tapioca starch. I will have to go back and ask specifically for it.
Bread is the one thing I think I really need to be able to master. The gluten free loaves at the store are super tiny and cost $5.00!
I think I am going to go online today and see if I can't find most of these things in bulk, so they are less expensive.
Wish me luck!

No comments: