Monday, January 19, 2009

Book and Movie Thursday

Okay,
I have read quite a bit again this week. There are three books and a movie to tell you about. So, lets get going!

The easy one first, the movie" The Duchess with Keira Knightly
Based on the true story of Georgiana the Duchess of Devonshire. An amazing woman ahead of her time. Makes a "good" match to the Duke and begins a married life to a man who does not love her and only cares for her to provide him with an heir. Many years and a couple of daughters later he moves his mistress into the home with them.
The Duchess becomes quite involved in politics and helps reshape England just after the United States has won the revolution.
There is much heartbreak in her life included the death of children and her love for a man that is not her husband, whom she can never really have.
I really enjoyed this movie, there was much sadness, but the life of this incredible woman is worth looking into. (On more than just a movie screen) I am reading up on the Duchess of Devonshire, what an interesting woman!

Now for the books!!
I have read three this week. The first, was one Rob was really irritated that I brought home. (He can't understand how I have any interest in watching a family with tons of kids running around, when I already have it at home!)
Multiple Blessings by Jon and Kate Gosselin
This is a more in depth look at the Gosselin family from the TLC show "Jon and Kate plus 8" this family has twin daughters then sextuplets. The story is told by Kate and takes you through the family story from the beginning and in more detail than is covered on the show. You get raw emotion and the grittiest feelings as this little family expands, quite literally.
I really enjoyed this book. It is well written, but is a quick easy read. (I read it one evening in about 3 1/2 hours) There is also so much more of their faith. There are many scriptures quoted and you get much more understanding of their religious convictions. If you like Jon and Kate, you should definitely get this book. Happy Reading!

And two more David Baldacci books:
Saving Faith and Split Second

Both of these books were written a few years ago. In '99 and '00 I believe. You can tell they are earlier works from this author if you read his books much. But they are both really good stories.

Saving Faith is set in Washington DC and revolves around the political games and behind the scenes operations in DC. A young woman who has worked as a lobbyist for many years finds herself running for her life after she tries to do the right thing and contacts the FBI. But is it not the FBI that wants her secrets to remain silent. David Baldacci is a favorite of mine, because he can always keep me guessing. I liked this one so well I am reading it again.

Split Second is the story and back story of two characters Baldacci uses in many more books to come. Why each of them is no longer in the secret service, the bumps along the way that led them to each other. Sean King and Michelle Maxwell end up opening a private investigative firm together. This book was great! I loved the twists and turns to bring us to the climax of the story.
And having read more recent books, it was nice to see King and Maxwell get their start.
Happy Reading!!

1 comment:

the Johnson Mom said...

I love to watch John and Kate, and I have thought about reading her book so I think I will. I have our DVR set to record all new episodes so that I don't miss any. Love it.
Angela