Friday, January 9, 2009

Foodie Friday--Food Storage

This year I am going to try diligently to build up a food storage and start using that storage. I have to figure out what to do with most of those things before something bad happens and I HAVE to know how to use them.

Recently I ordered the Comp II emergency kit from Emergency Essentials. It is a really great set with a big hiking size back pack and a much smaller day pack. It has all the basics in there, food and water for two people for two days as well as shelter, warmth and sanitation. All in all I am feeling better about life.
The plan is to have these be our "evac packs" They are packed and ready to go in case we have to evacuate in a hurry. I still need to get clothing set aside for everyone that is easily accessible too.

So on to the food of Foodie Friday, and sticking with the food storage theme, I just received a can of Mountain House Granola with Milk and Blueberries and a can of Vegetable Stew with Beef, also from Mountain House.

I opened both cans just to see what they look like inside. And I must admit, not to bad! The fruit and veggie pieces have retained their color and even look appetizing, even before mixing.

I mixed up a serving of the Granola and it is really good. The milk takes on a purple hue from the blueberries, and it tastes great! Avalon, just came in and asked what I was eating, she said, "Purple??" (In a curious but unsure way) After I let her try a bite she asked if she could finish it all! So, I guess it is a hit!

No comments: